By Davide Schiappapietra What if you were told that most Australian Muslims...
Since its opening in October 2017, the Gungahlin Masjid (the Masjid) has certainly
been the busiest, and arguably the most vibrant, place of worship for Muslims
living in Canberra - the national capital of Australia. It was almost after two
decades of painful planning, the Gungahlin Masjid - about 17 kilometres to the
north of City's centre - became a reality and emerged as one of Canberra's newest
Masaajid. Today, the Masjid serves around 6,000 Islamic community members
living in the northern part of Canberra. With the ever increasing Muslim
population in the surrounding districts; the Masjid has been overflowing with
worshippers and interested visitors, including regular visits from local schools and
colleges, senior citizen groups, and volunteer organisations.
The Masjid is owned and managed by Canberra Muslim Community (CMC) Inc. Its
membership represents a diverse demography that includes various ethnicities
with people from all over the world - Asians, Arabs, Africans, and Europeans - with
some locally born and revert Muslims in the mix. An open day for the wider
population is held annually, regular youth activities are organised and Islamic
educational classes are offered for adults and children round the year. In addition,
the Gungahlin Masjid Islamic School (GMIS) operates every Sunday during school
terms from the Masjid premises as an independent entity.
An opportunity for a fulltime Imam
Since its official opening in 2017, the CMC Inc. has not been able to formally
appoint a fulltime Imam to lead and advise the Masjid community in the matters of
their Deen. This is largely due to the broader financial position of the Masjid, with
the expenditures largely directed to such priorities as finalisation of basic facilities
at the premises, including bathrooms and ablution areas, as well as utilities
The CMC Executive Committee is seeking application for a fulltime Imam as per
the selection criteria, duty statement, and process described in the following pages.
1. Following will be considered advantageous:
(a.) A hafiz of the Quran
(b.) Beautiful Quran recital voice with Tajweed
(c.) Teaching experience
2. Demonstrated understanding and experience in providing basic counselling
services and arrange specialist counselling services as and when required.
Imam Duty Statement /job Description
1. Lead all prayers on a daily basis.
2. Deliver Jumuah khutbah (or arrange appropriate individuals to deliver the
Jumuah khutbah) and Jumuah prayers every week.
3. Lead Taraweeh prayers (or arrange appropriate individuals to lead Taraweeh
prayers) in Ramadan and give short talk in between the Taraweeh prayers (or
arrange for appropriate individuals to deliver such talks).
4. Manage regular Dars at the Masjid including organising Islamic scholars from
within and outside Australia to visit the Masjid to deliver Islamic courses and
5- Oversee the running of Islamic learning activities in the Masjid (e.g. Quran
classes, Arabic classes, Islamic studies courses, short gatherings within the
Masjid precincts etc.). This includes providing oversight of the management
and running of Gungahlin Masjid Islamic School (GMIS) as an ex-officio Board
6. Advise Executive Committee and the members of the local Muslim
community on religious matters.
7. Instrumental in developing and transforming Gungahlin Masjid into a "centre
of excellence" in Islamic learning and practices.
8. Ability to arrange and supervise various physical activities / camps for the
Muslim youth to impart Islamic knowledge and practices.
9. Provide basic counselling services and arrange specialist counselling services
as and when required.
1. Initial contract: 2 years
2. The contract is renewable depending on the performance of the Imam.
3- Salary: Negotiable
4. Must inform at least 3 months prior to changing or terminating the contract.
1. Please submit your application to president(&gungahlinmosque.org.au by 07 August 2020 with the following:
a) a statement addressing each selection criterion (i.e. how does the applicant meet that criterion);
b) copy of highest educational certificate;
c) an up-to-date CV; and
d) two referral letters from recognised Islamic organisations.
2. The final decision rests with the CMC Executive Committee.
3. Privacy of information and confidentiality of the recruitment process will
InShaAllah be maintained by the CMC Imam Selection Panel.
4. After the application closure date, candidate(s) will InShaAllah be contacted
individually as and when required.
The CMC Gungahlin Masjid "Imam Selection Panel" is comprising of:
1. Abdul Bari Chair As President of CMC
2. Shaikh Shadi Alsuleiman Advisor As President of ANIC
3. Shaikh Adam Konda Member As representative of Imams Council of
ACT. Sheikh Konda is the current
Imam of Sabah Al Ahmad Masjid
managed by Canberra Islamic Centre.
4. Sohail Akbar Member As Vice President of CMC
5. Dr Shahidul Islam Member As Secretary of CMC
6. Zain Scott Member As Assistant Secretary of CMC
Download [PDF 2.99 MB]
We're on Social Networks. Follow us & get in touch.